Client’s Challenge

For several years, a U.S.-based international consulting company had been partnering with a Brazilian entity for engagements requiring work in Brazil. When the contract came up for renewal, the compliance department insisted that a due diligence investigation be undertaken by a neutral third-party investigation firm with international reach.

The in-house counsel placed a call to Hillard Heintze CEO Arnette Heintze and requested a strategic investigation – not only of the company itself, but also of its two principals. “One more thing,” he added just as the call came to a close, “By contract, our window of negotiation with this firm is closing. I need this report inside of 10 days.”

The Hillard Heintze Solution

Within the hour, the Hillard Heintze teams – one in Chicago, the other in Sao Paolo – were in motion. Within days, key findings emerged. While no criminal records surfaced related to the company, the team linked it to 16 civil suits over the past three years.

With respect to the individuals, the CEO of the firm was confirmed as a 51% shareholder and the COO as the owner of the other 49%. Hillard Heintze identified the CEO as a defendant in two criminal matters and a party in three civil disputes in the late 1990s. The COO was also named as a defendant in the criminal suits.

Impact on the Client’s Business

This report was delivered on deadline, on the 10th day following the original case assignment. This client now relies on Hillard Heintze for U.S. and international investigative support on comparable engagements on a monthly basis.

Unplugged: The Project Manager's Post-Engagement Perspective

“Eighty-five percent of the work driving the findings in this report were conducted by our folks in Sao Paolo – in Portuguese, of course.

Given the very short turnaround, we weren’t able to conduct the number of source interviews that we typically like to undertake. Which is a key issue, because digital and hard copy records rarely tell the full story.

Given more time, we may have been able to surface a much more richly layered profile of this firm and its top executives, as we usually do.

But I understand that the client was delighted with our work. We met – and may well have exceeded – their requirements under some very tough time constraints for an international assignment.”

Related Case Studies
View All
Take your first step towards threat prevention
Contact Us

Call Us

Email Us

Talk to an Expert

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.